5 Yoga Poses For A Herniated Disc
You can still practice yoga when suffering from a herniated disc.
This is not a fun condition, but you may do some yoga poses to help relieve the pain. As with any condition, check with your doctor first. Here are a few tips and modified poses:
- Do not bend past 90 degrees with straight knees.
- Avoid all seated forward bends.
- Avoid rounding your back.
- Avoid deep twists.
- If a pose causes pain, tingling, or numbness, stop immediately.
Recommended poses with modifications:
- Savasana (Corpse) – elevate your legs by bending your knees and placing your calves on a chair seat.
- Tadasana (Mountain) – no modifications needed
- Bharadvajasana (Simple Sitting Twist) – perform seated in a chair
- Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II) – stand with back against the wall or ledge
- Utthita Parsvakonasana (Side Angle)- place your bottom hand on a block for support.
These are just a few examples of poses that will work well for you. If you are just getting started with yoga, I recommend attending a chair yoga class or gentle yoga to begin. Make your instructor aware of your condition so she can help you with modifications. Namaste.